Fable3mod
Discussions for modifying Fable 3

Home » Modding Forums » Modding Discussion » DLC Unlocking discussion (merged)
DLC Unlocking discussion (merged) Sun, 08 September 2013 18:09 Go to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire
It's been awhile since I've said anything on this topic. But I'll lay out quickly how Fable handles DLC checks.

This is the Traitor's Keep quest script. The DLC is started by speaking to a steward in the castle which then starts the castle assassion cutscene.
qc190_castleassassin.lua

Here is the notable output that checks for DLC purchsed
The interesting thing is that changing one byte (IE - [XXX] test; to [XXX] if true) with a hex editor will skip the DLC checking entirely. I've done it before so I know it works.
Toggle Spoiler

If you write a custom script that you want to be reliant on DLC checks. You'd follow this same flow. Not that you would too, but whatever.
This is for reference only. Razz

[Updated on: Sat, 26 October 2013 19:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Paid DLC Checks Sun, 08 September 2013 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint is currently offline  asmcint
Would it be safe to assume that the same check works on all the DLC, including weapons and various articles of clothing? Or is it just the quest packs?

To whomever designed the map of Mistpeak Valley to look so much more simple than the actual level is: May the Archangel Michael descend from the heavens and plant his boot squarely between your legs for your asshattery.
Re: Paid DLC Checks Sun, 08 September 2013 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint wrote on Sun, 08 September 2013 18:24
Would it be safe to assume that the same check works on all the DLC, including weapons and various articles of clothing? Or is it just the quest packs?

Got me. I just give it all to myself via script commands.
	Debug.AddAllDLC1Items()
	Debug.AddAllDLC2Items()

[Updated on: Sat, 26 October 2013 19:39]

Re: Paid DLC Checks Mon, 09 September 2013 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire wrote on Sun, 08 September 2013 19:42
asmcint wrote on Sun, 08 September 2013 18:24

Got me. I just give it all to myself via script commands.
Debug.AddAllDLC1Items(Wink
Debug.AddAllDLC2Items(Wink

Huh. Gonna have to remember that one. Razz

To whomever designed the map of Mistpeak Valley to look so much more simple than the actual level is: May the Archangel Michael descend from the heavens and plant his boot squarely between your legs for your asshattery.

[Updated on: Sat, 26 October 2013 19:39] by Moderator

Re: Paid DLC Checks Mon, 09 September 2013 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint wrote on Mon, 09 September 2013 07:33

Huh. Gonna have to remember that one. Razz

Yep. They should all show up in guild hall once you unlock it.
I'm not sure when they would unlock under normal circumstances.

That newgame lua I posted basically starts you as a male, with the main game completed and good alignment. It made it easier to test quest changes obviously. With games for windows live being removed in the future I'm curious how the DLC stuff is going to be handled in retail version(Steam).
Re: Paid DLC Checks Mon, 09 September 2013 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Huh. So what would I have to remove/change from that to have it just start a normal new game with the DLC available?

Re: Paid DLC Checks Mon, 09 September 2013 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint wrote on Mon, 09 September 2013 11:58
Huh. So what would I have to remove/change from that to have it just start a normal new game with the DLC available?

Well the quickest way would be to not use that newgame script (It's just for testing~!), and instead use the script activation hacks listed in the old forum.

Then you just need to plug in the debug unlocks and you are good to go.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 September 2013 12:16]

Re: Paid DLC Checks Mon, 09 September 2013 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So... Does the old forum even exist, then? Because otherwise I won't be able to find what you're talking about. :/

Re: Paid DLC Checks Mon, 09 September 2013 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint wrote on Mon, 09 September 2013 15:03
So... Does the old forum even exist, then? Because otherwise I won't be able to find what you're talking about. :/

kind of, maybe... Apart from the internet archive website, I have a backup of all the posts.

Edit: http://fable3mod.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=33&st art=0&

[Updated on: Mon, 09 September 2013 18:39]

Re: Paid DLC Checks Mon, 09 September 2013 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright, final question. What specifically should I change about the byte of data in order to skip the DLC check? Should I just change the number for the test byte to one that doesn't exist yet in the listings? Or is there something else I need to do?

Re: Paid DLC Checks Mon, 09 September 2013 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
asmcint wrote on Mon, 09 September 2013 20:19
Alright, final question. What specifically should I change about the byte of data in order to skip the DLC check? Should I just change the number for the test byte to one that doesn't exist yet in the listings? Or is there something else I need to do?

It's actually a pretty easy change once you figure out which statement to do.

The first column is the offset. The second is the data.

38D0  01000002           [076] test           1       0    ; to [78] if true
38D4  000A0039           [077] jmp            11           ; to [89]
38D8  011D0000           [078] getfield       1   0   29   ; BeenThroughDLCPurchasing
38DC  01010082           [079] test_r1        1   0   1  
38E0  00030039           [080] jmp            4            ; to [85]
38E4  01040110           [081] self           1   0   260  ; "SetState"
38E8  031E0032           [082] loadk          3   30       ; "BEGIN_QUEST_INTERACT_DLC"
38EC  01010604           [083] call_i         1   3   1  
38F0  00D1FF38           [084] jmp            -46          ; to [39]
38F4  01040110           [085] self           1   0   260  ; "SetState"
38F8  031F0032           [086] loadk          3   31       ; "BEGIN_QUEST_INTERACT_BOUGHT_DLC"
38FC  01010604           [087] call_i         1   3   1  
3900  00CDFF38           [088] jmp            -50          ; to [39]
3904  01040110           [089] self           1   0   260  ; "SetState"
3908  03200032           [090] loadk          3   32       ; "OFFER_DLC_PURCHASE_CUTSCENE"
390C  01010604           [091] call_i         1   3   1  

You'd open it up in a hex editor and change, say, offset 0x38D0 to 01010002. You'd wind up with this if you disassembled it again:
38D0  01010002           [076] test           1       1    ; to [78] if false

Which completely reverses that statement. This is some decently high level hacking here. I don't condone doing it accept as a learning experience once you've bought the DLC. Yada yada legal mumbo jumbo.

The second part is being able to repack it into a working bank. It should work if you just stick it back into the DLC bank it came from. But then you have to deal with backups and stuff. I used timeslips mod stuff and stuck it in a higher folder. I'll put that tutorial up at some point in the future if someone else doesn't do it first.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 September 2013 22:22]

icon5.gif  DLC Unlocking help Mon, 14 October 2013 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StellKilo is currently offline  StellKilo
I was trying to figure out how to unlock the DLC files for Traitor's Keep using the "Paid DLC Checks" post. I was able to get everything sorted to the point of disassembling qc190_castleassassin.lua using chunkspy. Got the line the bottom post told to edit, and saved it. I need to know if I have to reassemble the .txt SpyChunk makes, or can I just rename the .txt to a .lua and call it a day.
Re: DLC Unlocking help Tue, 15 October 2013 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fable III reads plaintext LUA the same way it reads the compiled shit. You ought to be just fine in saving the text as a .lua file and calling it a day.

Re: DLC Unlocking help Wed, 16 October 2013 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StellKilo wrote on Mon, 14 October 2013 09:49
I was trying to figure out how to unlock the DLC files for Traitor's Keep using the "Paid DLC Checks" post. I was able to get everything sorted to the point of disassembling qc190_castleassassin.lua using chunkspy. Got the line the bottom post told to edit, and saved it. I need to know if I have to reassemble the .txt SpyChunk makes, or can I just rename the .txt to a .lua and call it a day.

So I'm assuming you changed the assembly output file? It's not quite that easy. You have to use a hex editor and make the change in the compiled lua. The assembly output at least tells you the offset you need to go to though.
Re: DLC Unlocking help Sun, 20 October 2013 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire wrote on Wed, 16 October 2013 05:34
StellKilo wrote on Mon, 14 October 2013 09:49

So I'm assuming you changed the assembly output file? It's not quite that easy. You have to use a hex editor and make the change in the compiled lua. The assembly output at least tells you the offset you need to go to though.

This was my problem, thank you. I thought you just remade the bnk's with the decompiled lua instead. Would explain why my game would screw up after reloading my save. Thanks man.

EDIT:
Another problem. Now When I get to Ravenscar keep, I cannot move. Weird.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 October 2013 11:46]

icon5.gif  Cannot move character [Need help] Mon, 21 October 2013 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have used the post http://fable3mod.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=28&st art=0& to trick the DLC check in Traitors Keep, it worked so far, but once I get off the boat to Ravenscar Keep, my character is completely frozen. I cannot move, yet I can hold CTRL and go into first person, and look around. Any idea how to fix this / the cause of this?
I read a fix is to have someone join you in co-op, but I have no one to do this with. If anyone could help me with this, that'd be awesome. Surprised
Re: Cannot move character [Need help] Mon, 21 October 2013 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StellKilo wrote on Mon, 21 October 2013 12:20
I have used the post http://fable3mod.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=28&st art=0& to trick the DLC check in Traitors Keep, it worked so far, but once I get off the boat to Ravenscar Keep, my character is completely frozen. I cannot move, yet I can hold CTRL and go into first person, and look around. Any idea how to fix this / the cause of this?
I read a fix is to have someone join you in co-op, but I have no one to do this with. If anyone could help me with this, that'd be awesome. Surprised

It looks like there might be a script failure. It happens to me too. But I skipped straight the end of the game and there's all kinds of things that are borked.
Understone Tue, 22 October 2013 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does this quest show up if you haven't purchased it? Traitor's Keep at least has an NPC that offers to sell the DLC. I've had it working before but for the life of me I can't remember what I originally did.

I know the pack is showing up because I've given myself all the content in the pack.
And I could have swore 'The Voice' shows up in your quest list no matter what?
Re: Understone Tue, 22 October 2013 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As an aside. And to make sure everything was being loaded for myself. This opens up the path to Undertown.

Layers.DeactivateLayer("Layer_QO100_FactorySim")
Layers.DeactivateLayer("Layer_Understone_Locked")
Layers.ActivateLayer("Layer_Understone_Open")

But without activating the quest it looks like the villager simulation never starts (no shops), and of course no story and such.
Re: Cannot move character [Need help] Tue, 22 October 2013 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire wrote on Mon, 21 October 2013 20:37

It looks like there might be a script failure. It happens to me too. But I skipped straight the end of the game and there's all kinds of things that are borked.

Bah. So is it tied with a savegame, or just the dlc files? I don't know if I have the patience to start another game from start to finish.
Re: Cannot move character [Need help] Tue, 22 October 2013 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StellKilo wrote on Tue, 22 October 2013 19:16

Bah. So is it tied with a savegame, or just the dlc files? I don't know if I have the patience to start another game from start to finish.

It might be the way we circumvented the script. I started midway and played a couple of hours just to be sure. Still stuck. I'll probably play with the script and see if I can pinpoint where it might be causing it. Might first guess though would be that the script states aren't getting set correctly, and then you never get released from the cutscene. Someone better at lua than I am could probably write up a quick debugger.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 October 2013 19:24]

Re: Cannot move character [Need help] Wed, 23 October 2013 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire wrote on Tue, 22 October 2013 19:22
StellKilo wrote on Tue, 22 October 2013 19:16

It might be the way we circumvented the script. I started midway and played a couple of hours just to be sure. Still stuck. I'll probably play with the script and see if I can pinpoint where it might be causing it. Might first guess though would be that the script states aren't getting set correctly, and then you never get released from the cutscene. Someone better at lua than I am could probably write up a quick debugger.

Oh, does this happen with everyone's game by trying to bypass the dlc check? You sound like you've heard about it before.
By the way, thank you for the quick replies and the help you've been giving me. I have a very small understanding on how the DLC check worked, maybe I could find out how to fix this myself.

Another thing about the not being able to move was I couldn't return to sanctuary at all. Pressing ESC acted like it was an important cutscene (like you said) and would bring up the pause menu. I was able to go into the Game management and hit load, I was able to move in the load room, but upon returning I still could not move.

Edit: Any idea what's the event name of stopping a character from moving / allowing a character to move during a cutscene?

[Updated on: Wed, 23 October 2013 14:24]

Re: Cannot move character [Need help] Thu, 24 October 2013 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Artofeel is currently offline  Artofeel
I don't understand why you are trying to changing something in the quest script...
is enough to change the following function in a scriptactivation.txt and rename it to .lua
function ScriptFunction.IsDLC2Premium()

-- this is for debug purposes.  The only reason this will get set is if you have it in your mystartup.lua
	if DLC2ScriptsDontCareAboutThePackage then
		return true
	end

return PackageManager.IsPackagePremium("FableIII_DLC2_Paid")

end

to

return true

end
Re: Understone Thu, 24 October 2013 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
need to change "AbleToRun function" in scriptactivation.lua
ScriptActivation[ScriptCode.QO100].AbleToRun = function()
	--// check to see if we're the premium package before unlocking
	if PackageManager.IsPackagePremium("FableIII_DayOne_UnderstoneQuestPack") then
		return true
	end
end

just remove it
ScriptActivation[ScriptCode.QO100].AbleToRun = nil

this also need to be done for "Shooting Range"
QV070_RenegadeShootingRangeDLC
QV030_ReaverMansionOwnership
Re: Cannot move character [Need help] Thu, 24 October 2013 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Artofeel wrote on Thu, 24 October 2013 00:11
I don't understand why you are trying to changing something in the quest script...
is enough to change the following function in a scriptactivation.txt and rename it to .lua

-- this is for debug purposes.  The only reason this will get set is if you have it in your mystartup.lua
	if DLC2ScriptsDontCareAboutThePackage then
		return true
	end

return PackageManager.IsPackagePremium("FableIII_DLC2_Paid")

end

to

return true

end

I feel kinda stupid for not thinking of overwriting that to begin with. I mean it says the function right there...
38C4  011B000C           [073] getglobal      1   27       ; ScriptFunction
38C8  011C0286           [074] getfield_r1    1   1   28   ; IsDLC2Premium
38CC  0102027E           [075] call_i_r1      1   1   2  
38D0  01000002           [076] test           1       0    ; to [78] if true

Edit:
I'm not sure that's all that needs to be done. It looks like it's still asking for purchase with just that.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 October 2013 14:29]

Re: Understone Thu, 24 October 2013 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Artofeel wrote on Thu, 24 October 2013 02:26
need to change "AbleToRun function" in scriptactivation.lua
ScriptActivation[ScriptCode.QO100].AbleToRun = function()
	--// check to see if we're the premium package before unlocking
	if PackageManager.IsPackagePremium("FableIII_DayOne_UnderstoneQuestPack") then
		return true
	end
end

just remove it
ScriptActivation[ScriptCode.QO100].AbleToRun = nil

this also need to be done for "Shooting Range"
QV070_RenegadeShootingRangeDLC
QV030_ReaverMansionOwnership

Did that work for you? I've tried it and it's still not showing up?
Re: Cannot move character [Need help] Thu, 24 October 2013 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm still not sure the solution is in the scriptactivation.lua

But this change should be better than messing with the DLC check state. Since it skips it.

38A0  01040110           [064] self           1   0   260  ; "SetState"
38A4  031A0032           [065] loadk          3   26       ; "DLC_CHECK"
38A8  01010604           [066] call_i         1   3   1  

38A0  01040110           [064] self           1   0   260  ; "SetState"
38A4  031E0032           [065] loadk          3   30       ; "BEGIN_QUEST_INTERACT_DLC"
38A8  01010604           [066] call_i         1   3   1  

There still seems like there's a problem with not being able to move though after this function runs and then it loads the ravenscar level. It's supposed to advance gameflow at that point and load the next script.
00E4  0005000C           [049] getglobal      0   5        ; QC190_CastleAssassin
00E8  010D0078           [050] closure        1   13       ; 0 upvalues
00EC  0001261E           [051] setfield       0   19  1    ; State_END_Main

2ADB                     ** function [13] definition (level 2)
Re: Understone Thu, 24 October 2013 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
works fine for me
did you use "fresh" hero?
I have checked it on "non DLC" hero
Re: Cannot move character [Need help] Thu, 24 October 2013 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also works fine for me, like this

[Updated on: Thu, 24 October 2013 23:16]

Re: Understone Fri, 25 October 2013 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Artofeel wrote on Thu, 24 October 2013 23:12
works fine for me
did you use "fresh" hero?
I have checked it on "non DLC" hero

Yep, I start a new game every time via a modified newgame.lua

By non-DLC hero, do you mean without Understone and Traitor's Keep? Because that's what I'm trying to Access, the Undertown and Traitor's Keep quests while removing the xlive checks. The rest of the DLC and LE content is free and doesn't need to be circumvented. Very Happy
Re: Understone Fri, 25 October 2013 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire wrote on Fri, 25 October 2013 20:13

By non-DLC hero, do you mean without Understone and Traitor's Keep?

yes, just main game
I tried both cases, with Traitor's Keep and without it. Everything is working.
Perhaps the problem in your newgame.lua
can you show it?
Re: Understone Fri, 25 October 2013 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Artofeel wrote on Fri, 25 October 2013 09:27
Keshire wrote on Fri, 25 October 2013 20:13

By non-DLC hero, do you mean without Understone and Traitor's Keep?

yes, just main game
I tried both cases, with Traitor's Keep and without it. Everything is working.
Perhaps the problem in your newgame.lua
can you show it?

Always a possibility.

I usually start at the end cutscene. But I've also started at the coronation, because the end cutscene doesn't set the bowerstone castle layer correctly. But it's mostly for testing anyway.
Toggle Spoiler
  • Attachment: newgame.lua
    (Size: 1.81KB, Downloaded 1220 times)
  • Attachment: mod9.zip
    (Size: 27.85KB, Downloaded 1115 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 25 October 2013 19:32]

Re: Understone Fri, 25 October 2013 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha
your scriptactivation.lua in 'miscellaneous' folder, instead of 'quests' Very Happy
everything worked here
only Traitor's Keep quest is not showing up in quests list, but it worked
Re: Understone Sat, 26 October 2013 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Artofeel wrote on Fri, 25 October 2013 23:46
haha
your scriptactivation.lua in 'miscellaneous' folder, instead of 'quests' Very Happy
everything worked here
only Traitor's Keep quest is not showing up in quests list, but it worked

I could just erase the forum again and no one would be the wiser...

OK. With that it solved all my problems. I can also move at the start of ravenscar within Traitor's Keep.
Traitor's Keep doesn't show up in the quest list until you accept it. I'm still pretty sure you need to make it skip the DLC check to get past the purchase offer though.

[Updated on: Sat, 26 October 2013 21:07]

Re: Understone Sat, 26 October 2013 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keshire wrote on Sat, 26 October 2013 18:25
Traitor's Keep doesn't show up in the quest list until you accept it.

Problem is probably in your method of starting. With my non-DLC hero it's displayed.
I'm still pretty sure you need to make it skip the DLC check to get past the purchase offer though.

What for? After all, the quest is starts, what do you need else? items?
Re: Cannot move character [Need help] Sat, 26 October 2013 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Artofeel wrote on Thu, 24 October 2013 23:14
also works fine for me, like this

Not really sure what file I'm looking in for this line. Plus you're talking about the Bowerstone DLC, I need Traitor's (But reading that whole post, Keshire was able to get Traitor's keep to work... Wink
I'm sorry if I'm a moron, I'm going to look around for whatever line you mean Confused

Edit: I have no idea how to get rid of that winking smiley thing next to Work... , I'm trying to close that parenthesis, but that ass keeps winking at me.

[Updated on: Sat, 26 October 2013 11:46]

Re: Cannot move character [Need help] Sat, 26 October 2013 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StellKilo wrote on Sun, 27 October 2013 00:44
Not really sure what file I'm looking in for this line. Plus you're talking about the Bowerstone DLC, I need Traitor's (But reading that whole post, Keshire was able to get Traitor's keep to work... )
I'm sorry if I'm a moron, I'm going to look around for whatever line you mean :?
for Traitor's Keep, you need this
Re: Cannot move character [Need help] Sat, 26 October 2013 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Artofeel wrote on Sat, 26 October 2013 12:45
StellKilo wrote on Sun, 27 October 2013 00:44
Not really sure what file I'm looking in for this line. Plus you're talking about the Bowerstone DLC, I need Traitor's (But reading that whole post, Keshire was able to get Traitor's keep to work... Wink
I'm sorry if I'm a moron, I'm going to look around for whatever line you mean Confused
for Traitor's Keep, you need this

I feel really dumb Embarrassed .
Do you mean Vanilla questscriptactivation or Traitor's keep's one?

Edit: Many thanks! That did it! It even unstuck my character's save at Ravenscar, and the cutscene picked right up! Thanks a bunch man!
Edit 2: Though I have another problem Embarrassed Reading about, you get the soldier outfit for free, as a gift almost immediatly, yet I have not gotten this. Any idea how to get it? Confused Same goes for the clockwork dog.

[Updated on: Sat, 26 October 2013 17:27]

Re: Understone Sat, 26 October 2013 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Artofeel wrote on Sat, 26 October 2013 07:53
I'm still pretty sure you need to make it skip the DLC check to get past the purchase offer though.

What for? After all, the quest is starts, what do you need else? items?

What I'm mostly concerned about is this part:
38D8  011D0000           [078] getfield       1   0   29   ; BeenThroughDLCPurchasing
38DC  01010082           [079] test_r1        1   0   1  
38E0  00030039           [080] jmp            4            ; to [85]

38F4  01040110           [085] self           1   0   260  ; "SetState"
38F8  031F0032           [086] loadk          3   31       ; "BEGIN_QUEST_INTERACT_BOUGHT_DLC"
38FC  01010604           [087] call_i         1   3   1  

I'd rather skip it entirely just to make sure we cover all our bases.

StellKilo wrote on Sat, 26 October 2013 12:52
Edit 2: Though I have another problem Embarrassed Reading about, you get the soldier outfit for free, as a gift almost immediatly, yet I have not gotten this. Any idea how to get it? Confused Same goes for the clockwork dog.

I thought it was something you picked up along the way during the quest? Like in a chest or something?

[Updated on: Sat, 26 October 2013 19:50]

Re: Understone Sun, 27 October 2013 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

Keshire wrote on Sat, 26 October 2013 19:34
I thought it was something you picked up along the way during the quest? Like in a chest or something?

That's what I thought too, which is why I ignored the fact that I didn't get it. I like to collect sets in this game, and the only I'm missing at the moment is that, so I checked on the wiki. It says you get it straight away from the dlc loading (which I didn't). Plus, I already beat Traitor's Keep Embarrassed.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 October 2013 08:00]

Previous Topic: translation Fable 3
Next Topic: Override Assets issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:27:18 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02436 seconds