Fable3mod
Discussions for modifying Fable 3

Home » Modding Forums » Modding Discussion » Extracting models from the game
Extracting models from the game Mon, 01 September 2014 00:44 Go to next message
Jake_Daviau is currently offline  Jake_Daviau
Hello, I tried to find and export 3d model files from Fable 3, I don't want to steal them or use them, I might try to mod the game a bit but that's a maybe, what I want to actually try is to load them up in blender (if possible) and just, well, study them, id like to see how they are made how many polygons they have how did they sculpt them etc. I study 3d graphics myself and I think such thing could help me become better myself.

I would be interested mostly in models of trees, some furniture and guns, specially pistols, also some character clothing maybe but I think finding those things there would be hard Sad

all I managed to do was to open levels.bnk in bnk browser program and extract it and then search around in folders and other BNK files that I extracted but I cant find actual models
If anyone knows how precisely to extract such files from game files i would be thank full if you tell me.
Re: Extracting models from the game Sat, 06 September 2014 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Artofeel is currently offline  Artofeel
look for MDL files
also you will need this
Re: Extracting models from the game Mon, 15 September 2014 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just kind find anything interesting in those files, tried searching for things that would interest me like weapons, furniture, buildings flora like trees and ground plants and grass etc all in MDL ofcourse but i cant find any MDL files :/ they hid all of those things well

EDIT 1:

Also there are some files with weird extensions like for instance "occlusionwall.mdl.gmd" which of those extensions actually work?

[Updated on: Mon, 15 September 2014 08:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Extracting models from the game Mon, 29 September 2014 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can someone help me out with this i cannot find anything, where could i find meshes of plants like ground vegetation, grasses poppies and such, also trees would be interesting to look at but i fail to find any models somehow :/ it seems there are few levels of compression maybe, like there are BNK files inside other BNK files and such
Re: Extracting models from the game Wed, 01 October 2014 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you really looked at the whole globals_models.bnk file?
I'm sure that's all there
Re: Extracting models from the game Fri, 03 October 2014 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think i was searching in wrong files then, my bad, however i tried searching in globals_models file but it has additional extension, it is not an BNK archive it is a .DAT file, though it does have BNK in the file name the actual file extension is .DAT and BNK browser do not work with it, perhaps i would need to unpack the DAT file somehow or change the extension somehow, i tried to just edit it out and to change it to BNK file but BNK browser cant read that either
Re: Extracting models from the game Sat, 04 October 2014 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look for globals_models.bnk in streaming.bnk (if I remember correct)
unpack it and place in same folder as globals_models.bnk.dat
Re: Extracting models from the game Mon, 06 October 2014 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you it worked and i managed to find all the MDL files, i unpacked few already to take a look.

I do have other issue unfortunately, apparently i cant install MDL plugin into Blender from link provided here, i tried many things and it just wont work, perhaps my version of Blender is incompatible, my current blender version is 2.69.

Is there a way to open those files or maybe there's some converting program that would allow to change MDL files to other ones that blender could open or import?
Re: Extracting models from the game Thu, 16 October 2014 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone know how to get this ( http://fable3mod.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=98&st art=0 Wink working with my blender, what version is it for, the poster of it just says it is for the latest version but i don't know which version was the latest at this point of time, mine might be never and maybe that's why it does not work for me.
Re: Extracting models from the game Thu, 16 October 2014 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fierymarigold is currently offline  fierymarigold
I'm using it with Blender v. 2.69.
Re: Extracting models from the game Fri, 17 October 2014 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Version is 2.68
It's perfectly visible in window title on the screenshot
I'm sorry but I can't test it
About four years don't use Blender...

[Updated on: Fri, 17 October 2014 12:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Extracting models from the game Sat, 18 October 2014 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phnx is currently offline  Phnx
Hey, I've been following this thread for a while now. I'm no good at modelling but I really hope to see some modded models someday. I'd especially like the mercenary hotpants to show the actual legs rather than the tights, with skin morphing.
Re: Extracting models from the game Fri, 24 October 2014 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Artofeel, i downloaded and installed earlier version, 2.68 and the plug in works with it, however, there are few issues,most things i try to import work fine, they are imported and in blender, but some objects give out some error messages and wont import like some ground flora like flowers, poppies and such, and other objects will crash blender outright like if i tried importing mannequin blender crashed, but i can check out other objects okay, thanks Smile
Re: Extracting models from the game Thu, 24 September 2015 08:43 Go to previous message
TheGeniusSavant is currently offline  TheGeniusSavant
I'm right there with you! Also, I'd LOVE to be able to fix the informal skirt... the way it clings is just DUMB!!!

Hopefully, I'll get there one day... but now that I re-read this thread, perhaps I need to downgrade to 2.68.
Previous Topic: Built-in level editor
Next Topic: [How to] Extract loading screen posters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:33:13 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01856 seconds