Fable3mod
Discussions for modifying Fable 3

Home » Modding Forums » Tools » Blender 2.82 Model Importer
Blender 2.82 Model Importer Mon, 21 October 2013 20:43 Go to next message
Keshire is currently offline  Keshire
Updated to newest blender version. Posted plugin to github
https://github.com/Keshire/Blender-io_mesh_mdl

Skeletons are imported and skin weights are assigned now.

Still a lot of unknown data so no exporting from blender to F3 yet.
  • Attachment: mdl.hsl
    (Size: 5.95KB, Downloaded 2046 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 24 February 2020 07:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Blender scripts for mdl models Wed, 30 October 2013 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The plugin is a little out of date but not too bad. Wasn't able to load in uv mapping. I'll get it fixed as soon as I can and then start working on importing bones again.

http://i.imgur.com/MbKhezd.png
Re: Blender scripts for mdl models Wed, 30 October 2013 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
see first post:
updated to newest blender version. Still no bones, so animated models are imported as static meshes still. I'm also not sure about normals or smoothing groups. I'll get it worked out eventually though.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 October 2013 21:26]

Re: Blender scripts for mdl models Fri, 01 November 2013 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Updated Hexworkshop structures. See first post.

I started working on an exporter to get models into Fable 3. It's not in a usable condition though until I find out some more of the unknowns.
Re: Blender scripts for mdl models Sat, 02 November 2013 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cleaned up the material import using some new information I got while writing the exporter. It's just an internal change, so no need to re-download unless you want to work with the source.
Re: Blender scripts for mdl models Sat, 02 January 2016 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CultOfByron is currently offline  CultOfByron
Hi Keshire,

I've just started working with your import script (thank you so much for sharing it by the way!Wink and just wanted to mention that when I import any model, it always has "flipped normals". Also, whenever I try to import another model after clearing the scene, it always re-imports the first model of the session - this might not be down to the script though, I shall investigate.
Re: Blender 2.82 Model Importer Mon, 24 February 2020 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Updated to Blender 2.82, let me know if there's any problems with flipped normals. I might be pulled the normals list wrong.
Re: Blender 2.82 Model Importer Thu, 21 May 2020 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great stuff, I just popped in here to see if anything was going on and it was Razz

Everything appears as it should, an unexpected bonus is that nested in the scene collection info are all the relevant texture names too! Maybe I didn't notice this before?

Thanks again for this superb tool, now if I can get my head around the TEX converter I'll be a very happy bunny.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 May 2020 03:14]

Re: Blender 2.82 Model Importer Sat, 14 August 2021 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just thought I'd share some architecture with you all Very Happy

Https://i.ibb.co/TYQjKSz/Brightwall-House.png

Also, a "Ravenscar" Farmhouse from Fable 2 - 2 sub-meshes exported as .obj using HexWorkshop and Model Researcher by Lazov/Mr Game Viewer:

https://i.ibb.co/w0P1vpC/Ravenscar-Farmhouse.png

I know it's about 13 years too late but I have been looking through the mdl files as exported from the Fable 2 BNK explorer tool and have been able to spot the "important" stuff, i.e; vertices (3x pairs of half-floats) and faces (SHORTs directly following on from the vertex arrays). I'm not 100% on the rest of the data contained within the 20-byte arrays, nor the groups of data before each vertex chunk and after the last faces chunk, but I'm pleased with how quick I managed to spot the patterns to find the verts and faces, so maybe the rest will emerge in due course. As I understand it, it should be 2x SHORTs for UV coords, and there are always 2x bytes of 00 directly after the vertex coords which leaves 8-bytes unaccounted for. Apologies if necessary for posting this here but the Fable 2 modding forum seems a bit, how shall I put this politely, quiet lately...? ;)

Sample array from Brightwood Tower exterior.mdl:

Vertex Coords↓ ---- Nowt↓ -- UVs somewhere in this lot?↓
---------------------------------------------↓ - ↓ - ↓ - ↓ -(most likely)
CC D3 48 9B 4B 12 00 00 CC 05 E4 6D 34 73 39 E9 C0 C8 37 94

Did anyone make any more progress with this, or even get as far as a working Fable 2 mdl import script for anything (blender?Wink or did there not seem much point since Fable 2 wasn't "moddable"?

[Updated on: Wed, 18 August 2021 04:10]

Re: Blender 2.82 Model Importer Mon, 14 February 2022 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garanor1 is currently offline  Garanor1
How does one go about getting these models and textures like this?
Re: Blender 2.82 Model Importer Mon, 14 February 2022 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the first model (the Brightwall house) was imported into Blender using the importer in this thread.

The textures were added by converting the .tex files with Artofeel's converter which can be found here:http:// fable3mod.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=72&start=0&a mp;a mp;a mp;

The importer and tex converter do not work with the equivalent Fable 2 files, despite their apparent similarity, due to compression/encryption and differences in structure.

The Ravenscar/Oakfield farmhouse mdl (and others) were generated using this handy tool: http://mr.game-viewer.org/ and looking at the hex code for the individual model files.

The texture files for Fable 2 are compressed/encrypted and I can't make any more progress with them with my current skillset(!Wink so I am adapting Fable 3 or Fable TLC/Anniversary ones where necessary.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 February 2022 04:39]

Re: Blender 2.82 Model Importer Mon, 14 February 2022 05:31 Go to previous message
Garanor1 is currently offline  Garanor1
I've spent the last god knows how many hours trying to decompile or use BNK browser for fable 3's model files/textures/audios etc and ran into so many issues that i went crazy
Previous Topic: GDB Editor v0.3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:23:45 PDT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01435 seconds